Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Wall
Copyright Ray Zimmerman, 2019
1.Robert frost and his neighbor repair their stone wall boundary.
The neighbor declares the results good.
Frost contemplates a new poem.
2. Migrating Red-winged Blackbirds impale themselves
on slats erected along the U.S – Mexico border.
The Department of Homeland Security
declares the nation safe from blackbirds.
3. Manchu invaders encounter the Great Wall of China;
proceed with their war of conquest.
4. Thanks to the popular band, Pink Floyd,
we are all just bricks in the wall.
5. President Ronald Reagan stands on Berlin Soil,
says, “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall.”
6. President Thomas Jefferson assures
the Baptist committee of Danbury, Connecticut
that they will be free to worship as they see fit
and not subject to regulation by the Calvinist majority.
He proclaims a wall of separation between church and state.
7. Presidential candidate Donald Trump promises
to build a wall along the Mexican border;
fails to mention that construction began years ago.
8. Three Little Pigs build walls of straw, sticks, and brick.
Big Bad Wolf holds barbeque.
The third pig declines the invitation.
9. The Speaker of the House refuses to let the President
address the nation from the house chambers,
There must be a wall enforcing the separation of powers.
10. Jesus extols the value of building walls on rock foundations
advises against building on sand.
11. The descendants of Isaac gather at the Western Wall;
offer prayers and lamentations:
hope for the rebuilding of the Temple.
12. Followers of Mohammed gather within the walls
of the Dome of the Rock;
Pray for preservation of the mosque.
13. Hacker interface penetrates firewalls at will,
takes down Fortune 500 web sites.